Football Notables for the Day:
-Nate Davis waived by Colts- Must haved herped so hard he derped.
- Daunte Culpepper probably won’t be a 49er since they only offered him a 3rd string gig.
-Today we will find out if Jeremy Maclin is dying or not. I’m not even joking.
-No name RB’s walking out: John Clay walked off the field in Pitt and left practice, James Davis did the same in Washington…seriously?
-Add Aaron Maybin to the long list of recent busts. Cut by Buffalo after being #11 pick in ’09
-Branden Albert will be moving to the right side once Jared Gaither gets back into shape. Apparently the Chiefs really love Gaither to move a stud like Albert over.
-Chris Ivory still hasn’t joined camp and probably won’t due to a sports hernia opening even more playing time for Mark Ingram.
-Cecil Shorts is lighting up Jaguars camp and may get the starting slot job by the season opener. Pretty good for a guy I had never heard of until people were pulling doubles of his autograph in 2011 Topps Rising Rookies.
- One of the players we gave the highest investment grade for the upcoming season. Snag it for less than $25 and make money later. It’s at $13 right now.
- Jumbo Jim Kelly Absolute Patch- Get it for less than $25.
- Sammy Sosa Jumbo Absolute Patch /75- These things are incredible and any time you can get one of a retired legend like Sosa you should do it.
- No super steals located as of yet. We’ll keep you posted here and on our Twitter account @cardgeeksblog
-First and foremost we will be announcing a weekly fantasy football contest very soon so stay tuned!
Quote of the Day:
“So, you think they found out yet I wasn’t the source of all their problems?” – Raiders quarterback Jason Campbell, on the pass-protection problems of his former team, Washington Post
-Sell your Stevan Ridley and Ryan Mallet cards ASAP! Both of these young’ns had fantastic games this weekend. Mallet’s last Elite Auto sold for $60 and one is currently up selling for $23. Ridley’s Elite autos have jumped from under $5 to $20 thanks to his 3 TD performance. Look for his cards with a misspelled first name of “Steven”.
-Ndomakung Suh probably has another fine or suspension coming in his young career after slamming Andy Dalton to the ground, knocking his helmet off all well after the ball had been thrown.
-Sell your Ben Tate and Steve Slaton cardboard if you haven’t done so long ago. Tate is disappointing the Texans and Slaton is clearly being considered a flash in the pan at this point after so many injuries and letdowns after his strong ending to the 2008 season. Get what you can out of them while you still can get anything.
-Check out our Basketball Product Information Page with Reviews and recommendations for each set.
-Preseason football started last night and we’re about as excited as we can be. Time to stop pretending to care about MLB! It’s football time folks!
-Lee Evans has been traded to Baltimore for a 4th round pick! Great pickup for the Ravens.
-There will be Panini Gold Standard Football and it is gorgeous! Panini posted a sneak peek on their blog.
POTENTIAL STEALS OF THE DAY:
- 2004-05 Ultimate Collection Andre Iguodala RC Auto- Iggy is a very undervalued star. He is very talented and his statistics have shown that throughout his career. His RC’s are underappreciated but with the Sixers young stars a year older Iggy’s cardboard could make a run along with his team next season (assuming there is a season). Anything less than $15 is good for this.
- Tyreke Evans Donruss Elite Auto RC- Anything less than $25 is a steal.
- Auto Lot- The Braylon’s alone have been sellling for $15-20 since he joined the 49ers.
- Yogi Berra Autograph- Poorly listed. Get it under $25 and it’s a steal.
-Cliff Lee dominated again and this time added his second career home run to beat the Dogers. He K’d 10 and still is very undervalued for being the Ace(although contested by Halladay) on a favorite to win the NL Pennant.
-Dan Uggla’s streak is now at 30. Should we be impressed? Not really. Going 1/5 every night still only gets you a .200 average. He actually went 1/6 last night.
-Topps Inception Football has hit the market and it looks very nice. We’ll withhold judgment for a full review after a month or so passes but the design is definitely dynamite. This year’s RC class really looks like a stinker outside of the top 4-5. Not much depth.
-Apparently UD Ultimate Collection released as well? That one really snuck up on us. Sweet Spot just released last week didn’t it? UD Football products are crap now anyway without a license. Might as well release them at the same time as press pass.
- Quad Ultimate Auto- Tough to estimate a price for this one but anything under $40-45 is good with an expected ending price of $50-60. Currently $26
- 2006 SP Authentic Greg Jennings RC Auto-Not a huge steal but a solid card and a great player. This one should be around $30. Anything under that is a great deal.
- The new St. Louis Rams backup who will be a nice change of pace for SJax and replacement for when he inevitably gets injured this may not be a bad gamble. Don’t spend more than $30 on the lot.
- 1/2 the price of a box for 4 times the amount of hits. Sounds like a deal? Don’t pay more than $45-50 for this if you’re a Goodwin Champs fan.
- Matt Forte Ultimate Auto RC Jsy- Deserves much higher prices than this, will probably get them in midseason. Buy now!
- Percy Harvin Ultimate Auto RC- See the comment on Forte above.
- A $55-65 card usually this is a good shot of a great Autographed RC of one of the NHL’s brightest young stars, PK Subban.
-Upper Deck was giving away incredible cards at the National this past weekend. While all the manufacturers had solid giveaways UD blew them all away with stuff like this:
Autographs could be found in wrapper redemption packs so it was pretty easy to get a few shots at pulling something awesome like this. Also for those who bought a box of UD’s North Carolina product they got to enter into a raffle to win this:
-Matt Moore is filthy good. 6 2/3 IP, 10 more K’s in his 4th AAA start with an ERA of 1.09 over those 4 starts. Expect him to get the call come September. His 2008 Elite Autos end between $25-40 and there are a few ending today with this one being the best chance at a good deal.
-Braves #5 Prospect Randall Delgado made his AAA Debut Sunday and looked fantastic. He also made his autograph debut in the recent Bowman Platinum release. Base Autographs run about $5-8 right now but look for a bit of a hike if this keeps up. Solid buy right now.
-The Pirates lost their 10th game in a row last night leaving them 10 games back in the Central. Not too long ago every media outlet was all over this potential Cinderella story. Unfortunately they turned into a pumpkin a bit earlier than most expected. Getting swept by the lowly Padres has got to be the nail in the coffin.
-Brett Lawrie of the Toronto Blue Jays picked up his first MLB Home Run as well as two more hits in his third MLB Game. He is one to watch. Sadly his only autograph right now are his 2008 Razor cards. Apparently his partying isn’t holding him back.
- $20 for a Darren McFadden Topps Chrome Refractor Auto /50- As you’ll see sometime this week when our RB investment guide comes out McFadden is an excellent and underpriced player at the moment.
- Adrian Gonzalez Red Ink Auto $6.49 #’d /25- Yeah, yeah…it’s not in a Red Sox uniform but it’s still a rare and cool looking autograph of this years probably AL MVP.
- Jordan Swagerty Elite Auto- OR IS IT?!? The sticker placed on the card is Magic Johnson. THE Magic Johnson. I don’t know how much it should be worth and I wouldn’t buy it but it sure is strange looking.
- Derek Stepan Ultimate Collection RC and Auto Patch lot- These two should be worth around $40-50 combined with the 3 color patch. He is also a nice prospect to pick up.
- 2006 Bowman Chrome Jose Bautista Auto RC BGS 9- $16 with Free Shipping. We’ve been over this….he’s a good buy at current prices.
Quick post this morning, sticking with potential steals:
- Bryce Harper 1/1 Bowman Printing Plate RC- Doesn’t have Bowman in the title. The magenta plate sold for $282. This one is at $138.
- Bryce Harper Bowman Platinum Printing Plate-Only at $78. Don’t know where it should end but when you compare it to Bowman prices it should clearly be higher. Probably around $200.
- 2002 Donruss Crusades Cliff Lee RC- Not listed poorly, just being missed somehow. Probably his best looking RC and it should be selling for $15. It’s at $1.56 right now.
- 2010-11 Totally Certified John Wall Auto JSY RC- Currently at $31, sells for $80+ consistently.
-Prospects debuting recently had solid friday nights with Johnny Giavotella in KC, Yonder Alonso in Cincinnati and Brett Lawrie in Toronto with all three having two hit games.
- Giavotella has a 2008 Donruss Elite Auto as well as a Bowman Chrome Auto from 2009 value that sells for about twice as much as the Elite. Both are still very affordable.
- Yonder Alonso’s card situation is a bit screwy thanks to Razor Entertainment. He has a 2008 Razor Metal and 2008 Razor Letterman Autograph but they don’t seem to get as much love as his 2011 Bowman Chrome. Don’t expect that trend to change either. Buy the Bowman Chrome for anything less than $10 and you have a deal
- Brett Lawrie is also cornered by Razor but at the moment has no other autos for collectors so his 2008 Razor Metal Autographs sell very well between $20 and $30 recently.
-We’ll shift from debuting prospects to prospects who debuted a bit ago but are still doing very well.
- Desmond Jennings is still hitting at a .354 clip and his cardboard is reacting finally. 2011 Chrome Autos are still a good deal under $20 if you find one.
- Okay so Paul Goldschmidt isn’t doing so hot. He picked up another hit last night but also K’d twice. .214 average with 1 HR thus far.
- Vance Worley threw another great game and is now 8-1 for the Phillies. His early career stats are similar to J.A. Happ’s but most people believe he will end up much better than Happ. His 2010 Chromes remain very cheap while his 2008 Contenders and Elite Autographs still are under $40 despite being his best card. There are several of the Elite and Contenders ending today.
- “Derek” Rose Auto RC from ’48 Bowman Set. Currently at $25, usually sell for around $70.
- 2010 Donruss Elite Auto Lot- The Tijuan Walker alone sells for $10-12 and that’s the price of the entire lot at the moment.
- 2004-05 SP Authentic Andre Iguodala RC Auto- This is a $20 card. Bad timing to sell NBA RC Autos of anyone other than huge names. Snag it for a discount.
- Curt Schilling Donruss Classics 1/1 Auto- There is a Curt 1/1 Auto in the Card Geek PC(him in a Dbacks uni) that cost $145. This one is probably going to end up a hell of a deal.
- Rookie Year Alexander Ovechkin Auto UD Ice- These are usually in the $70-80 range. Not a huge steal but definitely a solid card to invest in.
- Ultimate Triple Auto Scott Kazmir, Cole Hamels, Mark Mulder-There was a time this was a $100 card. It’s still at .99 and listed poorly. You can probably have it for under $20 when it’s all said and done, maybe less.
- Ken Griffey Jr Auto for $4- Now that’s a deal
-Cliff Lee is so good it’s silly sometimes. He shutout the Giants last night. His 2002 RC’s are still very undervalued like his Ultimate Collection and Donruss Crusades RC. He has autographs in 2003 sets as well.
-Alex Gordon went 4-5 last night bringing his average to .311. He had 3 doubles on Wednesday night. What else does this guy need to do for his cardboard to be worth even HALF of what it was before he had played a major league game. His 2006 Bowman Chrome and Bowman Sterling Autos continue to be one of the best investments you could make at their current prices.
-Desmond Jennings, another guy worth less now than when he was highly touted in the minors, went 3-6 last night raising his young season’s average to .354. Tampa looks like they have found their leadoff hitter for the foreseeable future.
The numbers now vs. then:
June 18th Total Graded: 2010 (578) 2011(203)
Today Total Graded: 2010 (661) 2011(686)
June 18th Total BGS 9.5: 2010 (388) 2011(171)
Today Total Graded BGS 9.5: 2010 (436) 2011(545)
% of Todays Totals Graded 9.5 or Better: 2010 (461/661,69.7%) 2011(578/686, 84.2%) which means the 2011 percentage has held steady while the USA number has grown by 2%.
Prices June 18th for BGS 9.5: 2010 ($80) 2011($40)
Prices Today for BGS 9.5: 2010 ($90) 2011($25)
So which one is the better investment? Easy answer, 2010 USA Chrome which is also rarer. Expect the Harper to have over 1000 graded by next spring.
Auctions: Fair warning, not a lot of action today. I think a bunch of people took their cards to the National Convention and have left ebay a bit slower than normal.
-2009 Sweet Spot Ian Kinsler Auto- Last several have sold north of $15 after shipping, this one saves you a few bucks. If you’re a Kinsler fan this is a good pick up.
-SP Authentic Patrick Roy/Raymond Bourque Dual Auto- This should sell over $100, but it won’t listed the way it is. Grab it for a discount and flip or keep this beauty. Very cool card if you’re into hockey.
-1998 Topps Chrome Refractor Randy Moss RC-Newly retired Randy Moss has plenty of RC’s popping up due to the news lately. Be sure to grab some, if you can avoid overpaying. This refractor is normally in the $50-60 range so stay under that.
Morning Roundup, Thursday: Potential Auction Steals, Daily Performance Update and Cam Newton Tries to Draw
-Panini is giving away player sketch cards, this is what Cam Newton drew:
-If you haven’t already sold your Paul Goldschmidt cards I’d get on that ASAP while he still rides the hype from his promotion and first MLB Home Run. He is 2-10 with 4 K’s thus far and I don’t expect much different. Even if he is a decent player his prices will not sustain these levels. SELL!
-The Chiefs signed Tamba Hali to a sizeable contract. Yet another reminder that he didn’t slip the three picks he needed to in 2006 to the 49ers at 22. Instead they ended up with Manny Lawson, who is now a Bengal.
-Our favorite case buster on twitter @brentandbecca got in 30 cases of new Topps Lineage Baseball and so far have not been impressed with their goods.
Yet another yawner. Nice 1:5 case hit. Lol. Only 25 in set and these are the guys they pick? Bummerhttp://img.ly/6WIC-@brentandbecca
-Very bad news on the NBA front. The Players Association President believes there will actually be a full lockout and no 2011-12 season. He may just be spitballing to get some negative press as we know how this goes from the recent NFL Lockout. The optimist in me says they’ll get a deal done because none of them can afford to cancel the season. Hold off on investing too much in this year’s rookie class until you know more.
-Honus Wagner Topps Sterling Dual Cut Signature and Bat Relic 1/1- Incredible, and apparently worth only $2400.
-Topps Chrome Kenny Britt Autograph RC- Britt is a solid investment right now and should do well with an established QB like Hasselbeck taking over.
-1999 SP Signature Box- 12 packs, 12 autos- A lot of SP’s to be found and great players all around in this set. Compared to modern products this is a steal at anything less than $100.
-2005 Reflections Al Kaline/Dale Murphy Dual Auto- Poorly listed, should be able to get $30+ out of it if listed correctly.
-2010 Sweet Spot Ryan Mathews Auto RC- The last one sold for 35. It’s at $10 and isn’t listed well.
-1998 Topps Chrome Football Sealed Box- Good investment wax or just a good ole fun break. Pull two mannings and you’re doing well. Pull refractors and you’re doing even better.
-1999 Legends Willis Reed Auto- These sell in the $10-15 range usually. Listed poorly.
That’s all for today folks!
-First and foremost the National Sports Card Convention kicks off today and I wish much luck and fun to all those going. It looks like a blast and Panini has some awesome prizes they are giving away there so hopefully some good people win them. Panini is also debuting their Hall of Fame Class Autographs which includes my personal favorite Ed Sabol. NFL Films were and always will be epics of football history. I love them.
-Merril Hoge is not a Tim Tebow fan as it turns out. Hoge is a perpetually negative analyst but this still worries me because he is pretty accurate for the most part.
-2011 Upper Deck Sweet Spot Football released yesterday and while the cards are exactly what you always expect from them, auto’d mini helmet stickers, the checklist appears to be VERY rough. Recommendation: Don’t buy boxes, only singles. Although that is basically always the recommendation. If you must bust some wax don’t make it 2011 Sweet Spot.
-Lebron James Topps Chrome RC not listed super poorly but not well either. It’s currently about $15 lower than most and the centering looks decent.
-2009-10 Matt Duchene SP Authentic Auto RC PSA 10- Anything under $75 is good for this and it’s currently under $40.
-2011 Allen & Ginter Diana Taurasi Auto and Patch lot- The Auto alone sells for $20ish. Add the cool patch and this lot is worth $30, try and snag it for $20.
-2009 Exquisite Lesean McCoy Auto Patch RC- The Eagles are a clear favorite to win the Super Bowl with all of their offseason additions. With this kind of patch it should sell for $90-$100
-2001 Bowman Chrome Drew Brees RC /1999 BGS 9- These usually sell for $30-$35. Try and grab it at a discount. BGS 9 is a solid grade for 2001 Bowman Chrome.
We’ll be back later with any steals we locate this morning and afternoon. Happy Hump Day!